Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Thursday 1 August 2013

The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes.

Every Marian Keyes book has an underlying theme and this time it's depression.  It's a topic that I found really interesting, and was very well written about.

I really liked Helen the main character, she was brilliantly neurotic (which incidentally had nothing to do with her depression).  Like me she doesn't drink hot drinks, tea, coffee etc, and like me she get's sick of people thinking she's crazy because of this... my favourite quote in the book is therefore this:
"Would you like a cup of tea?" Carole asked.
I would have preferred to set my eyeballs on fire"
Tea and coffee drinkers just won't appreciate this, but trust me, all the other non-hot drinkers will be with me!

Many parts of the book made my laugh out loud or chuckle to myself. However, I found the 'mystery' part of the book a little disappointing as I had guessed the outcome when I wasn't even half way through the story.  I also found the book a little too long, as I think sometimes there were too many unnecessary details.

But overall you can always rely on Marian Keyes to produce a strong chick-lit book which combines humour with serious undercurrents, and this book is no exception.

Title: The Mystery of Mercy Close
Author: Marian Keyes

No comments: