Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Monday 29 July 2013

Still Alice by Lisa Genova.

This book is a reminder of how precious life is, and that you shouldn't take your memories for granted, because as Alice shows us, your life can change completely when those memories start to fade.


I was drawn into this book straight away and couldn't stop reading it.

It's a devastatingly sad tale of Alice, a Harvard professor, who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's.  The books takes you on her journey from diagnosis and through her steady decline.  It is told from Alice's point of view which I found intriguing, as so often with stories of Alzheimer's the story focuses on the family and friends of the patient, however here we see the effect the disease has in the first person.

I had a particular interest in this book as my Gran has Alzheimer's and we have watched her steady decline over many years.  Whilst this is always a tragic disease, I couldn't help but feel so very sad for Alice as she was only in her fifties when she began to decline.

I loved Alice as a character, and was totally behind her the whole way.  Parts of this book will break your heart, and it will make you cry, but it's worth it.  I found it to be a totally absorbing read, and I feel like I have learnt a lot more about the disease, despite already having some experience of it.

This book is a reminder of how precious life is, and that you shouldn't take your memories for granted, because as Alice shows us, your life can change completely when those memories start to fade.


Title: Still Alice
Author: Lisa Genova

No comments: