Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Saturday 22 February 2014

The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson.

This is quite simply a wonderful book that will make you want to plant your very own memory tree.

I was swept away into the story from the start.  As soon as Grace finds out about the mysterious holiday her Mum had arranged for her before she passed away, I was intrigued about the secrets that she would uncover along the way.  The story unfolded slowly and meant that chapter after chapter were full of interesting twists and turns, and revelations that took me completely by surprise.

The hero of the story, Royal Marine, Alasdair, was such a strong character, yet with a very soft centre.  In my eyes he was the perfect gentleman and I was desperate for romance to develop between him and Grace.

By the time I had finished this book I felt drained, but in a good way.  I'd been on such a journey with the characters.  There were tears, and I was nearly screaming at Grace at one point, not wanting her to miss her chance of true love.  Yet along side this, the story was one full of hope and optimism which made for a really inspiring read.

If you read this book you will be treated to a journey passing through many wonderful settings, with very realistic and loveable characters, experiencing raw emotions that will keep you gripped through every page. I thoroughly recommend it.

Oh and in case anyone else was wondering... this is what a real Wedding Cake Tree looks like.
This book is brought to you from the publisher ChocLit so I must take a moment to describe Alasdair as if he were a chocolate bar (because I love this idea!).  I think he would definitely be a Snickers... a strong core, yet he has a soft caramel layer running through him, and the nuts, well they would signify the hard times he's been through which he will always carry with him.

The back page blurb:
Can a mother’s secret past provide the answers for a daughter’s future? 
Celebrity photographer Grace Buchanan has always known that, one day, she’d swap her manic day job for the peace and quiet of her beloved childhood cottage, St Christopher’s – she just didn’t expect it to be so soon. 
At the reading of her mother’s will, she’s shocked to learn that she hardly knew Rosamund at all, and that inheriting St Christopher’s hangs on one big – and very inconvenient – condition: Grace must drop everything for two weeks and travel the country with a mysterious stranger – war-weary Royal Marine, Alasdair Finn. 
Caught in a brief but perfect moment in time, Grace and Alasdair walk in Rosamund’s footsteps and read her letters at each breathtaking new place. As Grace slowly uncovers the truth about her mother’s incredible life story, Alasdair and Grace can’t help but question their own futures. Will Rosamund’s madcap scheme go to plan or will events take an unexpected turn? 
An emotional, fun-filled and adventurous journey of a lifetime.


Title: The Wedding Cake Tree
Author: Melanie Hudson
Buy The Wedding Cake Tree

9 comments:

Margaret Kaine said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this, it sounds so very intriguing.

Beverley Eikli aka Beverley Oakley said...

I love books that take me on an emotional roller coaster. I'm definitely looking forward to this one!

Thanks Natalie!

Unknown said...

It sounds just my cup of tea (with chocolate cake!). I shall definitely be buying this and look forward to reading it.

Liz X

Isabella Connor said...

I've 3/4 way through, and love both the main characters - especially Alasdair. It also makes me want to visit places, especially the Cairngorms. The Scottish Tourist Board should be promoting it. :)

Kathryn Freeman said...

I love the sound of this book - I've read the teaser and can't wait to settle down and devour the whole book, especially after this review :)

Berni Stevens said...

Alasdair is the perfect hero - handsome, strong and tough but with a heart of gold. An unusual romance with lots of twists and turns. Wonderful!

Margaret James said...

I bought this book last week and am so looking forward to reading it because it sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I rather like the sound of this from the review, will definitely be adding to my TBR pile.

Chris Stovell said...

For the second time... I expect my previous comment will arrive now... congratulations, Mel - one for my TBR pile too!