Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Monday 3 February 2014

Here's Looking At You by Mhairi McFarlane.

I loved Mhairi McFarlane's first book 'You Had Me At Hello' and so was really looking forward to reading her second novel. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed.  Maybe it's just because I was SO overwhelmed when reading her first, but I felt this was just another average chick-lit.

We meet Anna who has transformed herself since her school days and gone from school geek and become quite a beauty. She ends up working with one of the bullies she encountered at school, but he doesn't realise it's her.  As there friendship develops she struggles to find the right time to tell him about their past.

Anna is a lecturer and keen historian which was interesting and there were definitely some heart-warming parts of this book.

There were parts of this book I enjoyed; I think I was just hoping for something more after how much I enjoyed Mhairi's first book.  But this is a nice chick-lit read which I'm sure chick-lit fans would enjoy.

The back page blurb:
Anna Alessi – history expert, possessor of a lot of hair and an occasionally filthy mouth – seeks nice man for intelligent conversation and Mills & Boon moments.
Despite the oddballs that keep turning up on her dates, Anna couldn’t be happier. As a 30-something with a job she loves, life has turned out better than she dared dream. However, things weren’t always this way, and her years spent as the ‘Italian Galleon’ of an East London comprehensive are ones she’d rather forget.
So when James Fraser – the architect of Anna’s final humiliation at school – walks back into her life, her world is turned upside down. But James seems a changed man. Polite. Mature. Funny, even. People can change, right? So why does Anna feel like she’s a fool to trust him?

Title: Here's Looking At You
Author: Mhairi McFarlane

No comments: