Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Monday 26 August 2013

Love Anthony by Lisa Genova.

I loved reading this book.  Lisa Genova writes in such an engaging, real way that totally draws you into the characters.  Right from the start I became attached to the two lead characters, Beth and Olivia and couldn't wait to learn more about them.

The book is based around a theme of autism with Olivia being mother to an autistic boy (or boy with autism - I'll refer to both as the author does) and Beth writes a novel based on the subject of autism.  Autism itself if something which I have very little understanding of, and to be honest, had very little interest in before I read this book but now I can say I have a much greater understanding of how this condition affects those who have it, and those around them.  To my surprise I found the subject very interesting and very much enjoyed learning about it.

Lisa Genova's books are always based around a strong theme such as Autism in this one or Alzheimers which features in her book Still Alice, but the themes never take over the story.  Her books are always first and foremost about the people.  The description of Beth's relationship with Jimmy totally captivated me, the emotions were so real and I think everyone could relate to how Beth feels and the dilemma she is in.

Lisa writes in such a descriptive way, I always become so involved in the relationships, and like when I read Still Alice, I had a good cry at certain points in this book.  I still feel moved by this story even after finishing the book, I feel I went on a journey with the characters and am now sad to leave them behind.

I can really recommend this book.  It will engage you and stay with you even after it's finished.  If I had to describe the book in one word, 'Special' would have to be it.

Read my review of Still Alice by Lisa Genova here.

Title: Love Anthony
Author: Lisa Genova

No comments: