Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Friday 23 August 2013

The Night Rainbow by Claire King.

This books is written in the voice of Pea, a five year old girl.  When I've read other books written in the voice of a child, such as Room by Emma Donoghue, it takes me a little while to get into the feel of the story and get used to the language and flow of the book.  Unfortunately with this book I found it hard to 'get into the flow' of the storyteller.

Whilst Pea is very likeable I found myself wondering what was happening in the book as there was no thread pulling the story forward and it did feel a little repetitive.

I don't want to give anything away regarding the twist in the storyline, but I did guess what was going to happen quite early on in the book and I always hope I'm going to be wrong because I don't like to ruin a surprise!

Despite being quite a short book it took me a long time to read as I wasn't inspired to keep picking it up to read more.  It was pleasant enough once I did actual start reading again but I just found it lacking the magic that would make it stand out from other similar stories.

The back page blurb:
During one long, hot summer, five-year-old Pea and her little sister Margot play alone in the meadow behind their house, on the edge of a small village in Southern France. Her mother is too sad to take care of them; she left her happiness in the hospital, along with the baby. Pea's father has died in an accident and Maman, burdened by her double grief and isolated from the village by her Englishness, has retreated to a place where Pea cannot reach her - although she tries desperately to do so.
Then Pea meets Claude, a man who seems to love the meadow as she does and who always has time to play. Pea believes that she and Margot have found a friend, and maybe even a new papa. But why do the villagers view Claude with suspicion? And what secret is he keeping in his strange, empty house?

Title: The Night Rainbow
Author: Claire King

No comments: