Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Saturday 31 August 2013

Me and Mr Darcy by Alexandra Potter.

Last weekend I went to Chatsworth House, the place that inspired Jane Austen's description of Pemberley, Mr Darcy's home. I was totally swept away in the romance of it all and to top it off, the gift shop sold a variety of Austen-inspired books so I came away with this little beauty.

The story features Emily, who leaves her job as manager of a book shop in New York and takes a trip around Jane Austen country where she meets her very own Mr Darcy.  I wasn't too keen on the 'magical' feeling that the story had, but I really enjoyed the description of Emily's trip and her relationship with the other characters on the tour.

There were some really romantic moments in the book.  The Mr Darcy in this book makes me think of my personal favourite Mr Darcy (think Colin Firth walking out of the lake at Pemberley/Lyme Park).  

Although I wouldn't put it up there as one of the best chick-lit's I've ever read it was a very pleasant read.  I think it would be perfect for Jane Austen fans but also for people who've never read a Jane Austen, the story stands as a romantic tale in it's own right.

The back page blurb:
He's every woman's fantasy.

After a string of nightmare relationships, Emily Albright has decided she's had it with modern-day men. Shed rather pour herself a glass of wine, curl up with Pride and Prejudice and step into a time where men were dashing, devoted and honourable, strode across fields in breeches, their damp shirts clinging to their chests...

So when her best friend invites her to Mexico for a week of margaritas and men, Emily decides to book a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. 

She quickly realises she wont find her dream man here. The coach tour is full of pensioners, apart from one Mr Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist sent to write a piece on why Mr Darcy's been voted the man most women would love to date 

Until she walks into a room and finds herself face-to-face with Darcy himself. And every woman's fantasy suddenly becomes one woman's reality. . .


Title: Me and Mr Darcy
Author: Alexandra Potter

No comments: